Thursday, May 9, 2013

This is just the beginning

Here goes...

I'll start by saying that neither my husband or I are religious... so this journey that we are setting out on has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with God calling us to adopt. I understand that many people are Christian and they believe that it is their duty to adopt children who would otherwise be left without families to love them and that is all well and good but that is not us. With that, our 7 month old daughter (who is amazing by the way) is living proof that we are DEFINITELY not infertile... Because of how fast we got pregnant the first time my husband likes to say that his sperm are SUPER SAIYAN (and he would be super proud of me if he knew that I just spelled that the right way without having to look it up). If you are a dork like him then you will know what this means, and if not, well join the club.

So why then are we adopting?

First off, my biological family is beyond wonderful and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. But teens will be teens and...
Long story short, when I was in highschool I moved out of my home that I was living in with my mother and began staying with my friend's host family (she was a german exchange student). Well, she went back to Germany and I guess I just never left. They are a HUGE part of why I am who I am today and I am eternally grateful for everything they have done for me. I was in no way an orphan, just a troubled teen who had lost her path and needed someone on the outside to set me straight. The Herrons are a part of my family and forever will be. They are the reason that I have always wanted to adopt.

Fast Forward...
I joined the US Air Force in 2009 after dropping out of college and realizing that waiting tables may pay the bills but it wasn't going to get me anywhere that I wanted to go.

Fast Forward 2.5 more years...
My first duty station was Osan AB, South Korea. Never in a million years did I think that this of all places was where I would meet my forever. Well low and behold one faithful night out at a comedy night at a local bar. He got up on stage with just his guitar and a microphone and sang a song all about boobs. Stick a fork in me I was done. This was it. I'm not sure if its the way he made those motorboating noises or the strum of his guitar but I was in love. He sat down and we started talking, 2 months later we were engaged, a little more than a month later and we were married. I've never been so sure of anything in my life as when I told this man that I would love him until the ends of my days.

Well first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes baby in a baby carriage! Well i'm pretty sure no one uses carriages anymore but you get what I mean. Married in November, started trying to get pregnant in the first week of January (they assured us it would take AT LEAST a year to get pregnant), went in the day after Valentines day with cramps and BAM hey you're pregnant!

WAAAAAAAATTT?

Had a wonderful pregnancy (in comparison to my sister who got pregnant almost exactly the same day as me).. minus the getting fat and having to pee constantly of course. Nine months later and we met the most beautiful little stranger we had ever even imagined. She was (and still is) perfect in every way, even with her explosive diapers and belting out tunes at 2 AM. She is the most beautiful wonderful baby to ever be born (challenge me on this I dare you). We love here to the ends of the earth and back and would do absolutely anything for her.

So you had an easy pregnancy and you have a wonderful daughter... why wouldn't you just have another biological child?

Honestly? Why would we want to bring another child into this world when there are plenty already here who need families like ours to love them and bring them up right... Yea we could make two more children and they would be wonderful and we would love them more than anything... but why not adopt two children who don't have families to hold them and give them attention and love... We may not be able get all of the orphans our of orphanages, and two may seem like nothing in the grand scheme of things, but to us and to those two orphans who we do adopt, it will mean the world!

I'll talk more about the process in my next post, Brook his home!!! WOOOO

No comments:

Post a Comment